One of the very best things about taking a holiday in the UK, rather than venturing abroad, is that it is so easy to take every member of the family with you, including your faithful family dog. You can take your dog on holiday here and no expensive passport is required, no rabies injection is needed, and no time has to be spent queuing up to get complicated paperwork stamped and certified.
We know how much our guests enjoy holidaying with their canine companions, so most of our woodland lodges are dog-friendly. Your dog is very welcome to come and enjoy your break, along with the whole family.
To help make sure your faithful friend enjoys your break as much as you do, and that you enjoy a stress-free time, we have put together our top ten tips for a dog-friendly holiday:
- Make sure there is somewhere close by your holiday accommodation where you can easily exercise your dog. Our lodges are set in 52 acres of woodland and lovely walks are available in every direction, all year round.
- Bring plenty of spare towels for post-walk rub downs as areas of our beautiful woods can be muddy, even during the summer. After all, if there’s mud to be found, dogs are brilliant at finding it!
- Don’t forget to pack your dog’s bed or usual blanket. The familiar smells of home will help them nod off in a new environment.
- Make sure your dog’s vaccinations and any routine flea and worming treatments are fully up to date to keep them healthy and happy on holiday.
- Pack your dog’s favourite chews or cuddly toys. Having their usual toys will help them settle, as well as helping ensure they have something familiar to play with so they may be less tempted to chew anything else!
- Remember to bring the collar, lead, and lots of poo bags. It might be worth bringing a spare lead too, just in case.
- Make sure your dog has its usual identity tag firmly attached to its collar, in the unlikely event you get separated in new and unfamiliar surroundings. If your dog is not already micro-chipped, vets highly recommend you get this speedy procedure done to avoid unnecessary delays in being reunited if your dog happens to stray.
- Although we are surrounded by glorious countryside, our park is not far from the shops. However, you may not be able to find your pooch’s favourite food so bring a good supply with you.
- When planning your holiday activities, remember never to leave your dog shut in a car in warm weather. We are lucky in Shropshire to be surrounded by pet-friendly attractions, from historic Ironbridge to relaxing boat trips, so there are plenty of lovely dog-friendly days out you can enjoy together with your dog.
- Don’t forget to take lots of photos of your dog enjoying their holiday at Woodland Park Lodges and tag us on social – we would love to see them!
We offer a large range of cosy lodges that can sleep between four and eight persons, including the dog(s). Find out more about booking our beautiful lodges for a holiday the whole family will love!